Olive Oil World
History of Olive Oil in Messinia
So in the 14th century, Messinia became the most olive-growing region of the Peloponnese
The Karabotso’s production plant continues the production of olive oil, according to the latest quality standards
The olive oil production originates mainly from the olive groves of King Nestor’s area
The main varieties that are cultivated in King Nestor’s area are Koroneiki (November to January) and Mavrolia (September to November)
The presence of the olive tree in Greece is assured 50,000 years ago.
The journey of the olive tree.
The olive tree is traditionally cultivated in every country covered by the Mediterranean Sea and during the 6,000 years that man cultivates the olive, more than 1,500 varieties have been created.
The ancient Greek olive varieties.
the shape of the olive kernels is considered by scientists to be the most consistent feature of olive varieties. Thus the identification of varieties is possible
- Kallistefanos: The wild variety that was located in Ancient Olympia
- Kotinos: The wild olive tree that was also called Elaios
- Favlia: an Olive variety that it was turning white when matured
- Echinos: Olive tree variety that had a thorn in the top of the leaf
- Stemfylitys: Variety that its fruits were prepared in brine
- Moria: The first domesticated olive tree that stood in the sanctuary of the temple of akropolis
- Yschas: The olive variety that its fruits resembled a kidney
- Nitris: An olive variety that its fruits was prepared with salt